1) They make you hunt for their eggs like every day is Easter. No eggs in the nest box for most of these quirky birds. They prefer to play ninja and hide their eggs. Good luck finding them!
2) They try to hatch those stealth nests they've been laying their eggs in, and predators will more then likely find them before you do.
3) Noise level. If you value your peace and quiet then these are not the birds for you! They are only slightly louder then a freight train. Slightly. You should buy some earplugs.
4) They love looking at themselves in any reflective surface they can find. The windows, patio door and even the car windshield are all places they will stare at themselves for hours. They also like to try to 'peck' the other bird in the reflection, which can scare the crap out of you if you suddenly hear a knock on your second floor window!
5) Guinea birds on the windowsills, car, roof etc mean there is Guinea poop on the house, car, roof etc.
6) They can be bullies to smaller chickens. Guineas get a kick out of sneaking up behind a chicken and pulling it's tail feathers. Most chickens won't fight back which makes it even more of a game for the Guineas. If you happen to have a chicken that spooks easily and squawks loudly, all the more fun!
7) They can fly really well and don't always want to sleep in the coop at night. They will perch on a tree branch 30 feet up to sleep. Or the top of your car. They love cars.
8) They are not as fabulous in the garden as we've been led to believe. They will destroy your seedlings. They will take bites out of your tomatoes. They will dust bathe right between your rows of seedlings and uproot all of them. They will gleefully destroy your flower beds.
9) They are kinda creepy looking. Like a helmet shaped joker bird. I would steer clear of these if your kids are afraid of clowns.
10) Guineas are dumb. I can't come up with a stronger word, but let me tell you they are a few bananas short of a bunch! they will walk back and forth along a fence squawking for an hour before they see the gate opening 1/2 a foot away.
11) Getting them to move is like herding cats. They're not like chickens that you can shoo in the right direction. Oh no! They go back and forth and every which way and just when you think you have them going in the right direction.....they go straight up!
12) They are terrible mothers. Just awful! I've rescued many keets from hypothermia while only a few feet away from mama and she just ignores them.
13) They don't eat ladybugs, so if you're main problem is ladybugs guineas aren't going to help. Actually, nothing eats ladybugs....you're gonna need a ladybug trap.
14) They go far far away in search of bugs to eat. Like your neighbors yard. Even if your neighbors lives 1/4 mile away. Some neighbors don't like this...see #3 & #8.
Believe it or not I'm not trying to talk you of raising Guineas. What you raise on your homestead is a personal choice and I know this might all sound a bit odd coming from someone who regularly has at least 50 of these quirky critters running around. I find that Guineas are something you either love or hate and I happen to love them. However in the interest of full disclosure.....I thought you should know!
Now that you know why you should not raise guineas...I'm going to confuse you even more with 12 Reasons why you should raise guineas. Enjoy!